The IELTS exam results are reported on a nine-band scale. All scores are recorded on the Test Report Form along with details of the candidate’s nationality, first language and date of birth. Each overall band score corresponds to a descriptive statement which gives a summary of the English language ability of a candidate classified at that level.
The nine bands and their descriptive statements are as follows:
Band Score 0 – Did not attempt the test: No assessable information.
Band Score 1 – Non-User: Essentially has no ability to use the language beyond possibly a few isolated words.
Band Score 2 – Intermittent User: No real communication is possible except for the most basic information using isolated words or short formulae in familiar situations and to meet immediate needs. Has great difficulty understanding spoken and written English.
Band Score 3 – Extremely Limited User: Conveys and understands only general meaning in very familiar situations. Frequent breakdowns in communication occur.
Band Score 4 – Limited User: Basic competence is limited to familiar situations. Has frequent problems in understanding and expression. Is not able to use complex language.
Band Score 5 – Modest User: Has partial command of the language, coping with overall meaning m most situations, though is likely to make many mistakes. Should be able to handle basic communication in own field.
Band Score 6 – Competent User: Has generally effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings. Can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.
Band Score 7 – Good User: Has operational command of the language, though occasional inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings in some situations. Generally handles complex language well and understands detailed reasoning.
Band Score 8 – Very Good User: Has fully operational command of the language with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriacies. Misunderstandings may occur in unfamiliar situations. Handles complex detailed argumentation well.
Band Score 9 – Expert User: Has fully operational command of the language: appropriate, accurate and fluent with complete understanding.
Individual Test Scores
The IELTS Writing section is assessed over 9 IELTS bands which are confidential.
- Task 1 is assessed on task achievement, coherence and cohesion, lexical resource and grammatical range and accuracy.
- Task 2 is assessed on arguments, ideas and evidence, communicative quality and vocabulary and sentence structure.
If the candidate is under the word length they will lose points; if they have copied they will be
Speaking Candidates are assessed according to: fluency and coherence, lexical resource,
grammatical range and accuracy, pronunciation.
Download FREE IELTS Test Resources to Get 7+ Band Score with ease:
- IELTS Exam Preparation – Question Papers with Answers, Strategies, Experiences & Guides
- IELTS Exam Listening Study Material, Strategies, Experiences & Important Questions
- IELTS Exam General Training – Reading & Writing Test Study Material, Strategies & Experience
- IELTS Exam Reading Study Material, Strategies, Experiences & Important Questions
- IELTS Exam Writing Study Material, Strategies, Experiences & Important Questions
- IELTS Exam Speaking Study Material, Strategies, Experiences & Important Questions