[Ace Academy] Geotechnical Engineering - Civil Engineering Gate Handwritten Notes

ravi_bajaj

Mar 30, 2018
Student of
Engineering
Hey Fellow Engineers,

Here are some very well written notes on the subject Geotechnical Engineering which were compiled by my friend Ganesha during his GATE coaching at Made Easy and Ace Academy. These notes for civil engineering are all hand written and will give you an overview of the syllabus as well as the key topics that need to be studies on the subject - Geotechnical Engineering.

My advice would be to view these notes atleast once and refer to these along with your other GATE notes nad study material.

List of key topics in this Geotechnical Engineering GATE notes:
  • Soil Mechanics: Origin of soils, soil structure and fabric; Three-phase system and phase relationships, index properties; Unified and Indian standard soil classification system; Permeability - one dimensional flow, Darcy’s law; Seepage through soils - two-dimensional flow, flow nets, uplift pressure, piping; Principle of effective stress, capillarity, seepage force and quicksand condition; Compaction in laboratory and field conditions; Onedimensional consolidation, time rate of consolidation; Mohr’s circle, stress paths, effective and total shear strength parameters, characteristics of clays and sand.
  • Foundation Engineering: Sub-surface investigations - scope, drilling bore holes, sampling, plate load test, standard penetration and cone penetration tests; Earth pressure theories - Rankine and Coulomb; Stability of slopes - finite and infinite slopes, method of slices and Bishop’s method; Stress distribution in soils - Boussinesq’s and Westergaard’s theories, pressure bulbs; Shallow foundations - Terzaghi’s and Meyerhoff’s bearing capacity theories, effect of water table; Combined footing and raft foundation; Contact pressure; Settlement analysis in sands and clays; Deep foundations - types of piles, dynamic and static formulae, load capacity of piles in sands and clays, pile load test, negative skin friction.
You can download the PDF file below to access these GATE handwritten notes on the subject Geotechnical Engineering for civil engineering.
I hope you like them and get help in your GATE preparation. Moreover, please feel free to ask any query below or LIKE this post to motivate me to share more study materials with all students!
Cheers!

Downloads

• [Ace Academy] Geotechnical Engineering - Civil Engineering Gate Handwritten Notes PDF Download.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 204
Last edited: